04/08/2009

In praise of the ‘unpainted’ cricket fan

I was proud to call myself a fan of the Tamil film actor Rajnikanth during my teens.

I had and still have his factoid at fingertips and could hold my own amidst fans of Kamalhaasan

However, my ardour to watch his films in cinema halls faltered with the antics of his more ‘active’ fans. Earlier, watching his films were pleasurable, now these lumpen elements by their constant shouting, whistling and uncouth behaviour has made viewing a bore.

So much so, not only have I stopped going to cinema halls but I have also stopped acknowledging my earlier allegiance to Rajni.

I can almost see the same thing happening in cricket. Earlier, fans went to watch cricket, soak in the atmosphere and maybe comment on how Sachin appeared diminutive in real life. I remember the time, when the most outlandish thing I did was screaming at the top of my voice when India beat Pakistan at Chepauk. (BTW, I was target of disapproving looks).

However, my interest in watching cricket waned after the advent of ‘attention seekers’. Nowadays, the majority who turn up at Chepauk are those who want to be seen. The present lot appears interested in dressing up in outlandish gear and in drawing the attention of the TV Camera operator.

Worse, there are now organized groups, unofficial cheerleaders no less, intent on supporting ‘their team’ instead of good cricket. Needless to add I have avoided the pilgrimage to Chepauk ever since.

I do not know whether it is advancing age, or stick in the muddiness but I prefer those days when a cricket fan was an admirer of cricket. I prefer the time when there was no ‘painted faces’ in the crowd. I prefer the time when the ‘Mexican wave’ was unknown.

(This reverie was set off on reading: Dominic Lawson: Boorish and chauvinist: the new breed of England cricket fan).

Advertisement

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't agree with you more, gone are the days of the traditional cricket fans who will take leave from the offices for watching their favourite stars and team playing to be part of that great atmosphere, to be part of the winning team, to catch a glimpse of his favourite players, even skipping his lunch to not lose his favourite view point. Now a days people are going for a picnic, they are not bothered to catch the action ball by ball, they will be with their girl friends chatting something else and will get excited whenever a camera focusses them. Good old days are gone mate....

straight point said...

in every walk of life you don't always find comfortable people to work with but you still do it coz first you want to fight it out to prove yourself that you have it in you to do it...and second coz you know if you keep on looking for the 'comfort zone' you will never find it...

cricket is not different from life...

LVISS said...

YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THINKING LIKE THIS . CRICKET IN INDIA IS GOING AWAY FROM ITS MOORS. THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT THIS GAME WHICH ATTRACTED ME. NOW NO MORE. NO MORE DO I MISS ANYTHING ABOUT CRICKET. THEY PLAY THERE AND IF I FEEL LIKE I WATCH IT OR SWITCH OFF THE TV AT ANY TIME WITHOUT REGRET. I THINK OUR TEAM IS BECOMING UNPOPULAR IN OUR OWN COUNTRY.

Ottayan said...

Yes, those days are gone.Maybe we are partly to be blamed as we did not take the time to inculcate the habit of enjoying cricket.

Ottayan said...

Yes, those days are gone.Maybe we are partly to be blamed as we did not take the time to inculcate the habit of enjoying cricket.

Ottayan said...

Pan,

You maybe partly correct, but I believe these 'spectators' are there to flaunt themselves.

Ottayan said...

I think so too, the recent WADA impasse has shown up our cricketers true colours. They are nothing but pampered brats.