06/02/2008

On catches and excuses


During my long cricketing career, I have dropped many catches. The beauty is I can still vividly recollect most of them. Some of catches were difficult but the majority of them were catches a two year old would have caught.

However, more than the catches I was known for my inventive excuses. There was one, I will never forget.

Since I was well know for my ‘goals’ (letting the ball through my legs) I was unanimously made the first slip. Readers may recollect that I had mentioned that I was an animated fielder, particularly when my Captains sister used to watch us from the balcony. Fittingly on this memorable occasion, I dropped one with her watching.

I really do not know how it happened, but all I remember was I had just turned to take my stance (after a lot of waving to her), when the ball (tennis ball) hit me flush on my nose. Never one to accept blame, I immediately trotted out the excuse, that I was blinded by the wicketkeeper. This elicited disbelieving laughter; through my swelling nose, I saw that my Captain was still fuming and looked menacing.

I understood later what happened. The Captain had seen me waving to his sister and snatching the ball away from the bowler’s hand he had run up to the slips. Seeing me, turn he had thrown the ball with full force, which as you all know caught me on my nose.

Needless to add I was banished to long on and never batted above No.11.

Can you recollect any of your ‘dropped catches’?

No comments: