25/11/2008

IPL enhances cricketing skills – Flintoff

Until now Pietersen was the only English player attempting to hustle the ECB into letting the English players participate in IPL. Today Andrew Flintoff who is more of a national icon than Pietersen has joined him.

However, he has come out with a much more clever way to hustle the ECB. Pointing out how IPL has fine-tuned the Indian cricketers cricketing skills, he clarified the reason for his teammates' keenness to play in the IPL was not just the big bucks they could earn through it.

"A few of our players are keen to go to the IPL. The thing that most people write about when they mention the IPL is the financial rewards, but it should also be looked at as something that helps with a player's development,"

By aligning England’s barren tour to lack of IPL experience, Flintoff has changed the ball –game. By stating a valid reason, Flintoff has provided the ECB a good enough excuse to overcome its ‘morals’.

With Flintoff singing paeans on IPL, the ECB has no other recourse but let its players participate in the IPL.

Don’t you agree it is game, set and match to Lalit Modi?

Technorati Tags: ,,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harmison has written about it as well. I think perhaps only about 3-4 English players will fetch decent money in the IPL - so ECB may have to factor that in.

Viswanathan said...

RS,

With McGrath and Pollock refusing to renew their contract, there is certainly a need for Flintoff.

He should fetch a good price and I believe even Collingwood would have a strong bid.

(Pietersen has already signed up with Mumbai Indians).

Anonymous said...

I thought it was all about the Indian players' availability in the ECL. Surely they cannot talk moral after agreeing to play a winner takes us all game LOL.

Soon their press will be talking about how it helps to understand their conditions blah blah.

Anonymous said...

Flintoff and KP will be hot cakes... can't tell about the wood though

Viswanathan said...

Scorpi,

The ability to talk rubbish with a straight face is an English trait.

On Collingwood - I think MI will go after him as they need some to replace Pollack.

Soulberry said...

Harmison's been on the same theme.

Guess Stanford level of cricket now holds no charm for the Englishmen - the real deal is here they realize despite the ostrich head in the sand attitude of their countrymen towards a former colony's cricket board.

Viswanathan said...

Soulberry,

They have realised that IPL has larger guaranteed spin-offs.

LVISS said...

Pity Mumbai Indians.

wildkiwi23 said...

Hi there,

Just come across your site when I was searching for other cricket blogs on Google. Your site is one I would definetly consider to having a high standard, I can say I would defiently be reading it from time to time!

I also have a cricket site of my own I would highly recommend you having a look at. It is called "Cricket, the Brilliant Game" and the web address for it is www.whoplayscricket.com. If you are also interested in doing a link exchange with me feel free to email your site's details to my email at whoplayscricket@gmail.com, and when you add my site please use the following details:

Site Name: Cricket, the Brilliant Game!
Web Address: www.whoplayscricket.com
Link name: Cricket, the Brilliant Game!

Also email me when you have added me so I can add your site on mine promptly.

Cheers!

Rob

www.whoplayscricket.com

Viswanathan said...

R,

Why do you pity MI?

Viswanathan said...

Rob,

Thanks for the offer.

Anonymous said...

ottayan: I don't think MI can sign him - can they? I thought I read another auction is supposed to be there in Feb for players not signed after the trading in Dec.

Viswanathan said...

RS,

You are correct. They cannot sign and can only bid for him. However, I am not sure whether he has signed up with a team earlier like Pietersen.