05/09/2008

How do you see cricket evolving in the future?

Jogo de Críquete / Match of CricketImage by Márcio Cabral de Moura via Flickr
When I started to play cricket, the only format played internationally was the five-day test format. Then as you all know, the ODI gained popularity and for the next 25 years was the most popular format.


The ODI's popularity and even its relevance is now being questioned by the current favourite, the Twenty20 format. Regardless of the sneering traditionalist's the Twenty20 format appears to have caught the public imagination and is all set to be the format of the future.


The one common thing among these formats was the fact that the contests was always between countries/nations. Therefore, the changes have been slightly easier to digest.


However, Greg Chappel believes that it will change. He believes Twenty20 Club franchisees will gain popularity and Test will take the back seat.


Do you think this is how cricket will/should evolve?
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

Gaurav Sethi said...

ott - GC's your flavor of the week.
His banalities never cease to amaze me, to quote another GCism, as said to the captain before the WC, "the group should play for a win"

to answer yr Qs, YES/NO.
Because the group loves clubbing.

Viswanathan said...

NC,

Yep somehow Greg Chappell has managed to get my undivided attention.

Group or was it groupies?:)

Soulberry said...

Don't you think Greg "stole" my views? I've been harping this line since before the ICC T20 WC....since the conclusion of the ICL tournament. Stanford's success and my own experiences with summer hols night cricket (20-over tennins ball) convinced me that this could be really a big one. And the franchises too. I have a few blogs on it but you'd have to dig deep to find them now.

Viswanathan said...

Soulberry,

Yes, But is it the way you would like cricket to evolve?

LVISS said...

Stole mine too. Tests and ODIs have BLEAK future. Players will become bold to dump in fvr of T20. ICC and BCCI may become fossilised in due course.

Viswanathan said...

R,

What the hell? Never knew GC read your blog? :)

Anonymous said...

Heck! GC stole all of our ideas.

As for me, no, this is not how I want cricket to evolve. But who cares about us folk. Btw, I grew up in the era of ODIs, but am a huge Test cricket fan. I got bored during the IPL T20. Test cricket on good pitches are never boring.

Viswanathan said...

VMM,

Looks like I have write a separate post GC the thief.

Anonymous said...

We can see it happening in football but nothing has changed in terms of the popularity of the national teams playing... so it doesn't look that bad.

Viswanathan said...

I think it is likely to happen.