12/11/2007

Uthappa and the punch down the ground.


Uthappa recounts how he developed his ‘punch down the ground’.


"The punch down the ground came about because of where I grew up. There's a
house in front of the apartment where I stay, and in front of that house was an
empty plot where we played. There were roads on either side, so if I had to
score it would have to be straight. If I hit over the house and into the gutter,
it was six. So I always tried to punch straight."

My experience is also something similar.

During my formative days, I played cricket in a ground hemmed in by houses on three sides. The big scoring shots have to as a default come from either driving straight or picking the ball of a length and lofting it either over mid-off or mid-on. Needless to add some of my better shots were the ones played with a straight bat.

Which is your best stroke and how did it develop?

No comments: